MoDOT is replacing the bridges within the I-435 and I-70 Interchange. This new configuration will be a partial turbine and provides an opportunity to make additional safety improvements in a cost-effective manner. Improvements include full bridge replacements, removal of left exits, improvements to loop ramp configuration, ease of congestion, and crash reduction.
Emery Sapp and Sons is the main contractor on this project and construction will begin in March 2019 and is scheduled to be completed by December 2020. This is a $47 million project and is fully funded by MoDOT.
On both Thursday, March 7, and Friday March 8, beginning at 9 a.m., crews will close the right lane of eastbound I-70 from 18th Street to Cleveland Ave. until approximately 3 p.m. each day. This closure is to stage signs, equipment, and detours routes.
IMPACTS TO TRAFFIC
Construction officially kicks off in spring 2019 and will take two full construction seasons to complete. Motorists can expect to see significant ramp closures and lane width reductions. Beginning March 2019, crews will close the following ramps until December 2020:
- Westbound I-70 loop ramp to southbound I-435.
- The signed detour will use westbound I-70 to Manchester to turn around on eastbound I-70 to southbound I-435.
- Eastbound I-70 loop ramp to northbound I-435.
- The signed detour will use US 40 starting near 31st Street to northbound I-435.
- On-ramp from Manchester to westbound I-70.
- I-70 eastbound exit ramp to Manchester.
Throughout the project, the larger impacts will affect traffic along:
- Northbound I-435 to westbound I-70.
- Southbound I-435 to eastbound I-70.
- Blue Ridge Cutoff