Independence police today posted the following information regarding the city fireworks ordinance:
Fireworks City Ordinance Information
It shall be unlawful for any person:
• To throw, use, explode, detonate, aim, point, or shoot fireworks in such a manner that it lands on property not owned by that person.
• To throw, use, explode, detonate, or shoot any class 1.4 G fireworks within any structure.
• Discharge fireworks within 600 feet of any church, hospital, mental health facility, or school.
• Discharge fireworks within 100 feet of any location where fireworks are stored, offered for sale, or designated historical site.
• Discharge fireworks within 300 feet of any permanent storage of ignitable liquid, gases, gasoline pump, or gasoline filling station.
• Discharge fireworks within or throw from a motorized vehicle, throw fireworks at another vehicle, or under a motorized vehicle.Possession, storage, handling, and use of class 1.4G fireworks shall be permitted from 10 a.m. to 11 p.m. July 3 and 5 and 10 a.m. to midnight July 4.
If under the age of 16 years, unless under the supervision of a parent or guardian, you may not possess or discharge Class 1.4G fireworks within the City.
It is unlawful to possess, store, handle, or use the following fireworks within the City:
• Sparkler bombs
• Sky Lanterns
• Altered or combined fireworks
Police ask you not to call 911 to report violations unless it is an EMERGENCY such an as injury or a fire.
Their non-emergency line directly to police and fire dispatch is (816) 836-3600.